Tuesday 24 March 2015

I meet some people who worked on the Grand Canal

Further upstream there was a small village with some people who had worked on the construction of the Grand Canal. First, let me tell you about the Grand Canal, the Grand Canal was finished very recently right now it is 609 A.D. and it was finished in 605 A.D. it connects the Yellow River to the Yangtze River. Now I will be talking to Da, Chin and Feng. After, talking with them about just about everything I finally ask them the question I had been waiting to ask all day.
“So, guys what was it like working on the Grand Canal,” I ask. “ It was very hard work we would have to move very heavy things, we would get calluses, cuts, and bruises,” Da says. “We would be ordered around to do manual labor,” Feng said. “I think it was good to do because now their is a short cut to the yellow river,” Chin said. “One last thing, how different has it been since Emperor Wendi died, four years ago,” I asked. “It has been different, knowing he is dead, but Yang Guang has been doing some very good things like restoring Confucian education and the Confucian examination system,” Da said. “I agree,” Chin said. “So Chin you are 40 you lived during the northern and southern dynasties, what was that like,” I ask. “It was chaos, all of the dynasties were fighting multiple countries it was bad in my opinion,” He replied. I thanked them and left. I must say just this part of my journey has been so beautiful, heartwarming, and inspirational, I can’t say much else.               

No comments:

Post a Comment